Pages

Tuesday 15 October 2013

The Raid: Redemption (2011)


Title: The Raid: Redemption (2011)
Director: Gareth Evans
Cast: Iko Uwais, Joe Taslim

One night, the boyfriend showed me a clip of The Raid, the one where they have hand-to-hand combat on the stairs. I cringed as the perfectly choreographed action scene finishes with one snapped neck after another. For someone who's easily freaked out by overly gory scenes, I didn't think I could watch this one.

But I just did, I'm glad to say that this is one of the most engaging action movies I have scene.

If you're looking for a complex plot, a sophisticated character development or even witty dialogues, then The Raid: Redemption is not for you. But if you're looking for a full length action-packed movie with not a single boring second, then this one's for you. You'd think it will get repetitive but I swear, there's just something new in every scene.

A squad of policemen raids an apartment complex that's supposedly the headquarters of the most ruthless gang in the country. The head of the operation emphasized on how many have tried to infiltrate the apartment complex, but all have failed. Rama (Iko Uwais) is the rookie who's skeptical about the goal of the mission. He's also thought to be a baggage, but ended up doing some of the most fantastical action sequences in the movie.

I have no idea how to comment on an action movie like The Raid. Though I enjoy watching action movies, I think this is the first one (except for the Chinese action flicks, of course) I've watched that employs more hand-to-hand combat than gun fights. And to that, I think The Raid wins. It's well-paced, so despite the lack of an apparent plot, you'll be fully absorbed in the movie.

This is a breath of fresh air in a genre that seems to focus more on explosions and special effects. The honest to goodness action scenes in The Raid feels so raw that I was the one cringing in every punch and kick. Throw in some machete and knife action, and you're left with nothing but an adrenaline-pumping two-hour-long movie. I felt incredibly sorry for my heart.

Iko Uwais is also the real deal since he did all his stunts and also the action choreographer of the movie!!!! Don't be fooled by his baby face, seriously.

The Raid: Redemption is my first Indonesian movie. It gave me a pretty good impression of the Indonesian cinema, so I'm pretty sure it won't be the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...