Pages

Thursday 25 July 2013

Latest Obsession: One Piece

I haven't blogged in awhile here and in my personal blog, and it's all because of a really good reason. I've been addicted to One Piece the past few weeks, and I'm not the slightest bit apologetic that I haven't been functioning quite well in society lately. Haha! Seriously though, I can'y remember being this invested in a manga before.

In 3 weeks, I managed to read 715 chapters, and that basically means lack of sleep and divided attention when I was supposed to be doing something else. It's so hard to believe that 3 weeks ago, I haven't seen a single episode of the anime or read even a single chapter. Heck, I didn't even know Luffy's name back then! When my boyfriend said that I missed half of my life when I admitted not seeing a single ep of the anime, he wasn't joking. Why didn't I watch it back then?!? I can't think of a single thing that I hate in One Piece! In fact, it basically has everything I love in a story.

I easily get attached to fictional characters and One Piece is no exception. I am already deeply invested in every single one in the Straw Hat crew, and there's no turning back now!

One Piece has been around for more than a decade already. So much has already been said about this manga and to add more seems a bit silly. But I love it so much that I can't stop myself from gushing how much I love it!

FIRST, it's soooooo coherent. From start to finish, there's an existing theme that's present no matter what situation the Mugiwara crew find themselves in. Sometimes you think you know what's going to happen next but the crew decides to take a detour and you suddenly don't know what's going to happen next. What's surprising is that the story doesn't go off track but the detour still fits perfectly well with the story. There are also little things mentioned in the story that you think makes very little importance but will actually make an impact on the story. But of course, it only works because it's Eiichiro Oda who's behind the machination of the storyline. It's been around since 1997 and the fact that it's still coherent and not dragging nor boring in the slightest are mind-blowing.


SECOND, I love Luffy! I think I found my most favorite anime character ever. I have watched quite a few and have loved way too many. But Luffy is just so special! Here's a character who's so strong and not just because he's born with such strength. He actually trains to be stronger and that's really nice to see. His nonchalance and his undying devotion for his nakama pretty much give coherence to the story. It's also what I love about him the most.

THIRD, it's refreshing to see a perfectly in-sync main cast! Sure, Zoro and Sanji can't seem to get along but they have no ill feelings towards each other. They always have each other's back. It's also so so so amazing how Nami and Robin are friends. It's nice to see two main female characters actually get along! There's no rivalry between them, and that's a welcome change.

FOURTH, how there's no love story angle makes it even better. It's great how Oda sensei has strictly made it about friendship and great adventure, and those are the two things that drive the story forward. Romance will definitely drag the story.

FIVE, it's such a rich story, and it makes me want to go on an adventure in my own. It's obvious how Oda sensei is a wide reader and knows a lot about literature, mythology, and history. I smile a little when the plot is going on a familiar trajectory because it simply shows Oda sensei's influences. The fun part is how he always manages to make the story uniquely One Piece. I cannot fathom how sensei's mind works, but it will be interesting to be think like him for a day.

SIX, it's a roller coaster of emotions. One minute, I'm giggling over Luffy's imitation of his nakama, the next I'm clutching my heart in pain because of a devastating scene. It just brings so much emotions to the surface. I have never ever laughed so much in a manga! It's the type of humor that can definitely get to me.  Even when I'm reading in a public place I'll end up laughing so much, even when I'm alone. All my sides hurt after every chapter. It gets a bit embarrassing though when I become teary-eyed over a scene (i.e. Garp's meeting with Dadan after Ace's death huhu).

SEVEN, CHOPPER! Seriously though, who can be cuter than Chopper? NO ONE!

Oh, One Piece, you're a life-ruiner, but thank you anyway. I started watching season 13 of the anime, and yes I skipped seasons 1-12 but I promise to watch that still. I have yet to watch the movies, too, but I'll get on that soon. I'm currently busy lurking on forums and reading theories and whatnot. My boyfriend is getting worried. He said that it was enough that I was addicted to Koreans. He didn't expect that I'd be this addicted to One Piece. Well, it's all his fault anyway! Haha. Besides, we talk about nothing else but One Piece! It's our favorite dinner topic now. Hee.

I'm already chest-deep in this obsession, and there's no turning back for me. I won't have it any other way, though. Luffy has been making me incredibly perky lately. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...